Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Handbell Tree Construction

I recently designed and built a handbell tree, most of which is documented over at my YouTube channel in this video:


I want to provide some additional information here beyond what I can do in the "description" field on YouTube.

First, let me note that in the video, I never installed the O-rings.  The O-rings simply slip over the branches and slide to where you want the bells to hang - one O-ring on either side of the bell's handle strap that is looped over the branch.  I'll try to get a photo of that, but the bell tree is already over at the rehearsal hall where it is getting regular use, so I'll have to wait until the next time I am there.

The following is the list of materials I used to construct the bell tree, including hyperlinks to the actual items I bought at Lowe's:



Item Use

Item
Description

Qty

Price/unit
(Nov 2018)

Cost

Wood base


1

$7.82

$7.82

Pipe-to-base attachment


1

$7.78

$7.78

Attach flange to OSB base


4

$1.28/4 pack

$1.28

Bottom half of trunk


1

$17.67

$17.67

PVC to iron pipe connector


1

$1.18

$1.18

Connect bushing to top pipe


1

$0.98

$0.98

Top half of trunk


1

$4.90

$4.90

T-connector for limbs


4

$2.98

$11.92

Threaded end for limbs


4

$0.41

$1.64

Limbs


2

$2.30

$4.60

Clamp limbs in place


2 packs

$2.48/2 pack

$4.96

Top Cap


1

$1.28

$1.28

Hold bells in place on limbs


2 packs

$2.49/10 pack

$4.98

Glue PVC joints


1

$5.40

$5.40

Total







$68.57

 I receive no compensation for promoting any of these items or the store at which I purchased them.  This is just what I used and where I got them.

Note that I am not including the components for dying the PVC, as I still haven't figured out how to get that to work (though people do seem to actually love the strange mottled blue I ended up with).  I have a bottle of solvent-soluble dye on my workbench right now, so I'll be testing it out over the weekend and will update this if I get it to work.

Here is a list of the tools you will need to complete the project, roughly in the order that they are used:
  • Tape measure
  • Circular saw (optional: to rough cut the base from a large sheet of OSB or plywood)
  • Straight edge (optional: if you rough cut a square base)
  • Pencil
  • Wood screw (for center of circle - this is removed once circle is drawn)
  • String 
  • Jigsaw with ~10TPI blade suitable for OSB or plywood
  • Palm sander with ~80 grit sandpaper
  • Drill
  • 1/4" drill bit
  • Countersink drill bit
  • Vice
  • Hack saw
  • File (preferably a "half-round" file)
  • Pipe/Tubing cutter with at least 1.5" tubing capacity (optional - can use hacksaw)

Good luck.

No comments: