Sunday, March 30, 2008

The staining is done

HannahC drew me a nice "thank you" picture. She believes the playset now looks "1000 times better", and she's appreciates the hard work I put in to the job. That's sweet. I don't know from where she gets such an attitude, though.

Today, I hope to take off all the blue painter's tape, clean the drips off the metal plates, re-assemble the slide, and put the swings back up. Right now, though, it is snowing. We seem to be getting snow about every other day this week during the night/morning. It all melts by lunch.

I got myself a new toy on Friday night. A TomTom GO 720 GPS. After having navigation in the winivan for over a year, I've gotten really attached to it. I picked this one because it got really good reviews. I had it narrowed down to the Go 720 and the Garmin Nuvi 750. In the end, I chose the TomTom because it had a slightly better match for features I wanted and it was $50 cheaper. Both models were stocked by my local Sam's Club which, oddly, was a LOT cheaper then Best Buy and Amazon.

HannahC managed to erase the map from the internal drive within hours of me opening it. I was using the "free upgrade" to the latest map, which means downloading a 1.6GB file over the net. It was going very slowly, and after an hour with it still projecting two hours more to go, HannahC decided to play with the download window. Somehow, all of a sudden, it said "Download Complete...Installing..." and then I didn't have a map anymore. Well, I had a map of Guam.

Apparently, you're supposed to make a backup of the internal drive before you upgrade anything. However, the first-time setup feature in the software did not include that step and went straight to the map upgrade. Happily, having bought it locally, I knew that if I couldn't get a map back in there, I could just return it and get a new one.

I started the map upgrade again after everyone was in bed so that there would be no interruptions. In the morning, there was a map of the US again. Yay. It thinks my house is across the street and one to the left, though. But, you know, if you can get me within one house of home, I think I can figure it out from there. I haven't tried the bluetooth stuff or any of the voice customizations yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you gonna show us the letter??

Anonymous said...

Glad you got the map figured out on your 720. That can happen from time to time when their servers get loaded or the download otherwise gets interrupted. But thankfully TomTom seems to have some good checks in place to know if the download was completed or not.

Make sure to make a backup of your device from within HOME in case something goes astray down the road.