Sunday, December 17, 2006

Day 2 of 17 - About Last Night

For those fans who have been anxiously awaiting a new post, I apologize for the delay. I wrote a brief little thing yesterday, but for some reason blogger kept giving me an error when I tried to post it. It finally cleared up this morning and posted.

Yesterday was a busy day. I spent all of my free time (which was about 20 minutes) working on describing some things I had done for work at my past job. When you change jobs within The Company in the middle of the year, there is a lot of paperwork towards the end when you have to account for everything.

We took The Childrens out for a sushi lunch in Old Town and then to see Santa yesterday. HannieC was very worried. She said that she really had not been good enough this year to get a good toy from Santa (a bug catching kit that she wants) and was worried that he might call her out on that. But, you know Santa, always want to keep you guessing. MaxieC for the first time told Santa what he wanted, but he refused to sit next to Santa. Maybe next year.

El Torito's party was pretty OK. It started out a little slowly, as the keg had a bit of a foaming issue, but then MoustachioP's son figured out the trick and got the brew flowing. I, uh, broke my diet a little bit and had some snacks. Quite a substantial amount, perhaps.

El Torito is one of those sad stories - people used to depend on him to have parties all the time, and that lifestyle suited him well. Then he got married, and as happens to all men, marriage drove all the fun right out of him. Well, last night he put on a bit of a performance to show that the old El Torito is still alive in there somewhere, just crying to get out. I was a joy to behold.

Me, on the other hand, I don't even know who I am anymore. I had a couple beers and a couple bourbons, and then I drank Pepsi the rest of the night. This was because I had no other way home than to drive myself. There were all these happy, drunken people doing shots of tequila, and when that was gone, Captain Morgan (ack), and I was sipping my Pepsi and chowing down all the appetizers.

At the end of the night (~1:30am), there are eight of us left. Five are staggeringly drunk (well, hard to say if MoodyT was staggeringly drunk as he had to sit down about a half-hour before that and hadn't moved much since then) and three are stone-cold sober. And Me, CherkyB, I'm one of the sober ones, and I'm driving a drunk guy home.

I don't think anything like this has ever happened to me before.

I gotta tell you, though, I still enjoyed standing around in a room full of drunken co-workers. And I had a hell of a lot of fun with CJ's digital SLR. I got a tremendous photo of El Torito in a drunken whoop that I think we're going to have to blow up into a poster. CJ better not delete that.

Now for the best part, HannieC has had a cold for the last few days, and she's been trying to hand it off to me. When I got home around 2:15am, I went up to the bedroom and got into my nightime attire. I noted MaxieC was in my spot on the bed. But my nose was running something fierce. So, out of the goodness of my heart, I went downstairs to the bathroom to blow my nose so as to not wake The Mrs. or MaxieC. I then went to the kitchen and mixed myself of a glass of Emergen-C, which is something StinkyJ swears by for combating colds and with which I had some marginally good luck over the Thanksgiving fiasco.

After I drink that, I head back upstairs. The Mrs. is standing at the top of the steps with her arms crossed across her chest. It goes like this:
The Mrs.: You drove home like this?
Me, CherkyB: Like what?
The Mrs.: Like this!
Me, CherkyB: Like what? With a runny nose?
The Mrs.: Needing to drink a big glass of water before going to bed so you don't get a hangover!
So there you have it. No good deed goes unpunished.

No comments: